[Rd] .Call and to reclaim the memory by allocVector

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Aug 24 13:18:23 CEST 2007

Please do not post to multiple lists! I've removed R-help.

You have not told us your OS ('linux', perhaps but what CPU), nor how you
know 'the memory was still not reclaimed back to the operating system'.
But that is how many OSes work: their malloc maintains a pool of memory
pages, and free() does not return the memory to the OS kernel, just to the
process' pool.  It depends on what you meant by 'the operating system'.

Why does this bother you?  150Mb of virtual memory is nothing these days.

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, Yongchao Ge wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am not sure if this is a bug and I apologize if it is something I
> didn't read carefully in the R extension manual. My initial search on the
> R help and R devel list archive didn't find useful information.

Exactly this topic was thrashed to death under the misleading title of
'Suspected memory leak' earlier this month in a thread that started on
R-help and moved to R-devel. See e.g.

https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2007-August/046669.html

from the author of the R memory allocator.