[Rd] compiling R under cygwin

Denham Robert Robert.Denham at nrw.qld.gov.au
Thu Aug 23 03:30:20 CEST 2007

>> For various reasons,
>I think it is only courteous to mention some good reasons if you want
to take up people's time.

Some of the reasons we would like a cygwin version aren't necessarily
good reasons.  We have been using cygwin for sometime, mostly to deal
with scripting in a combined windows/unix environment.  We have a setup
which allows windows users to run many scripts in the same way as unix
users.  These scripts are often python or shell scripts.  We have R
installed on the unix machines, and the system administrators would like
to be able to have R on windows in the same environment.  This set up
also means that the administrator can fairly easily maintain the version
of software used on all user's machines.  Probably this could all be
managed and still use the native windows version of R, but the
administrator is familiar with cygwin and they could manage this
software in the same way they manage other packages.

We would like to be able to use linux machines on pc's but unfortunately
we have restrictions imposed on us that prevent this.  This restriction
also goes as far as the use of virtual machines.  My personal preference
would be to run linux on my work pc, and use a virtual machine to run
windows software, such as ArcGIS and Imagine, that are not available for
linux.  This does not seem to be an option for us.

One thing I was interested in was knowing if there are others who also
would like a cygwin version.  From the replies to my post, and from a
search of the mailing list archive, I think that there is little demand
for this.  We would, however, be prepared to help in some way for the
few people who are interested.

Robert Denham
Environmental Statistician
Remote Sensing Centre
Telephone 07 3896 9899
www.nrw.qld.gov.au

Department of Natural Resources & Water
QScape Building, 80 Meiers Road, Indooroopilly Qld 4068