[Rd] compiling R under cygwin

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Aug 21 12:52:56 CEST 2007

Denham Robert wrote:
> For various reasons, it suits our workplace to have a cygwin version of
> R.  I am pretty sure that cygwin is still not a supported environment
> for R, but we have managed to compile R-2.5.1 under cygwin without too
> many dramas.  Our procedure is described below.  We still have a few
> problems compiling libraries without manually changing files from .so to
> .dll, but it seems ok.

I would expect other subtle problems as well, because Cygwin is not a
normal Unix.  I don't know whether any of these differences matter to R,
but some things to look out for are:

 - you can't unlink a file while it is open
 - filenames are not case sensitive
 - file permissions have strange defaults (everything is executable)
 - I think the executable format still needs to be Windows format
 - There's no such thing as a ptty
 - You'll probably need X11 for graphics, and will lose support for
Windows metafile output (wmf)

> I was wondering whether this information is likely to be useful to
> others, and if we should spend any time looking in to ways in which the
> configure/build/install code could be modified to allow a standard
> install.

What is the advantage of building this?  I don't think we want to
support platforms just for the sake of supporting more platforms, but if
there's a real need for it, that would be different.

Duncan Murdoch