[Rd] Sligthly OT Re: Makefile for embedding OpenBUGS in R package

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Aug 7 05:02:37 CEST 2007

OpenBUGS is distributed under GPL2, so this seems not to apply.
It is distributed as source and as binaries: the difficulty is that it is
written in Object Pascal for which a compiler is not readily available.

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:

> Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
>> On Mon, 6 Aug 2007, Tobias Verbeke wrote:
> <snipped>
>>> Actually, these files appear to differ. The file I referred to
>>> was the file ./Manuals/CBugs.html contained in the current OpenBUGS
>>> release:
>>>
>>> http://mathstat.helsinki.fi/openbugs/OpenBUGS.zip
>>
>> I am baffled by that C file: why not just link an even simpler stub against
>> brugs.so rather than play around with dlopen?
>>

> <snipped>
>
> [I am not familiar with openbugs nor its licensing terms, but seeing as it is
> distributed as part-binary-only...]
>
> I agree there is little technical reasons for dlopen() vs a simpler
> stub, but there is occasionally licensing/legal reasons for doing so -
> GPL-licensed code dlopen()'ing proprietary-licensed binary-only DLL/so
> is allowed, but a 'more intimate' linking of GPL-code with more restrictive
> code is sometimes troublesome in its licensing status.

But the C code is also under GPL2: see the comment on the web page I
mentioned.

Doing what Tobias is proposing (communicating with another program via
files) is generally accepted as allowed under different licencing
agreements.  The whole brugs executable would be under GPL2.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk