[Rd] Sligthly OT Re: Makefile for embedding OpenBUGS in R package

Hin-Tak Leung hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk
Tue Aug 7 02:10:36 CEST 2007

Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Aug 2007, Tobias Verbeke wrote:
<snipped>
>>> I presume.
>> Actually, these files appear to differ. The file I referred to
>> was the file ./Manuals/CBugs.html contained in the current OpenBUGS
>> release:
>>
>> http://mathstat.helsinki.fi/openbugs/OpenBUGS.zip
>
> I am baffled by that C file: why not just link an even simpler stub
> against brugs.so rather than play around with dlopen?

<snipped>

[I am not familiar with openbugs nor its licensing terms, but seeing as
it is distributed as part-binary-only...]

I agree there is little technical reasons for dlopen() vs a simpler
stub, but there is occasionally licensing/legal reasons for doing so -
GPL-licensed code dlopen()'ing proprietary-licensed binary-only DLL/so
is allowed, but a 'more intimate' linking of GPL-code with more
restrictive code is sometimes troublesome in its licensing status.

(for private/internal use, there is no reason for going the dlopen()
routine...) Just an idea...

Hin-Tak