[Rd] pure R code package for Windows

Petr Savicky savicky at cs.cas.cz
Sat Apr 28 13:50:09 CEST 2007

Dear R developers,

I am using R under Linux, but I would like to share
an extension package with some Windows users. The package
contains only data and .R scripts. There is no src directory.

So, I think I do not need a Windows machine with C compiler,
"make", "sh" and "perl". If I am wrong, please tell me.

I tried the following approaches (after verifying the package
using R CMD check - 1 warning concerning the missing documentation
for some of the R-functions.)

1. Installing the source package (with no C, C++ or F files)
   directly on Windows XP. Installation complains that
   "make" command is mising. OK, it is a source package.

2. Building binary package using R CMD build --binary --use-zip
   on Linux and try to install it under Windows XP. Installation
   complains that "make" command is missing. (Why, if it is
   a binary package?).

3. Build the package from source on Windows XP using
   R CMD build <package>. Installation complains that "sh"
   is missing. (Why is it looking for "sh", if it is a properly
   working R installation under Windows?)

4. Install the package under Linux and zip the directory
   library/<package> and unzip it in the library directory
   on Windows machine. This works. The package behaves
   correctly. However, I do not think that this is a suggested
   method.

Could you help me?

Thank you in advance. Petr Savicky.