[Rd] R RC: make all

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Apr 23 15:42:38 CEST 2007

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007, Duncan Murdoch wrote:

> On 4/23/2007 8:51 AM, Peter Dalgaard wrote:
>> Uwe Ligges wrote:
>>> Looks like
>>>    make all
>>> does not imply
>>>    make recommended
>>> in the RC version of R-2.5.0 ...
>>>
>>> Uwe
>>>
>> Eh? What makes you say that?
>>

>> all: Makefile Makeconf R docs recommended
>> recommended: @USE_RECOMMENDED_PACKAGES_TRUE@ stamp-recommended
>
> This is true in the Windows src/gnuwin32/Makefile, but it's not new.
> The only target that depends on "recommended" is "distribution", and it
> does it by forcing "make recommended" every time, whether needed or not.
>
> "make all" also misses "bitmapdll" (which I think has no equivalent in
> Unix?), "manuals" (part of "docs" in Unix), and installer related targets.

'make manuals' is equivalent to 'make pdf' on Unix.

> It would probably be reasonable if "make all" were more consistent
> across platforms, but "make recommended" is quite slow, so I'm not sure
> I would like it to be in the default ("all" is the default target).

This could be overcome by using timestamps, as on Unix.  However, those do
not work entirely right on Unix, as they only check if the package sources
have been updated, and not that R has been changed in a way that needs the
package to be regnerated (e.g. the C headers have changed, or methods need
to be re-dumped).  So I have been reluctant to change to a known flawed
system.  (Originally the Windows toolkit was missing 'touch', which you
would need to do timestamps right.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk