[Rd] setClass inside a function

Iago Mosqueira (Cefas) Iago.Mosqueira at cefas.co.uk
Fri Apr 20 18:31:51 CEST 2007

Hi Martin,

Thanks very much for your help.

> Hi Iago --
>
> Here's my attempt at an answer.
>
> "Iago Mosqueira (Cefas)" <Iago.Mosqueira at cefas.co.uk> writes:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I would like to create a function that gets passed a class name and
> > then calls setClass, and a few other functions, inside. I have done
> > this in the past with setmethod, creating accessors for all
> slots in a
> > set of S4 classes. But setClass is choking when my function
> is called
> > isnide a package, telling about an error in exists(cname, where). I
> > assume this to be a problem with the environment where the class is
> > created. If I define my creator function in a package and load it,
> > when I call it I get
> >
> > Error in assign(mname, def, where): cannot add bindings to a locked
> > environment
>
> You're trying to create a class in the package name space, and the
> name space is locked (cannot be modified) after the package is
> loaded. If your intention is programmatically generate static classes
> (in a kind of macro-like way) then I think you could still use this
> approach but ensure that the classes are created when the package is
> loaded (e.g., by including a class creation function that is actually
> evaluated, not just defined, in your package code).

Yes, I have tried that. Inmediatly after the creator function is defined I use it to create a new class. And this class is exported in the package NAMESPACE. Still, it says the package environment is locked, although the call to setClass is part of the package.

> > This does not happen if I redefine the creator function in
> my working
> > environment.
>
> yes, here you are creating the class in the global environment, which
> is not locked (!).
>
> > I have attached an example of the kind of function below, and I am
> > using R 2.5.0.
> >
> > Where should I look for information on undertanding what might be
> > going on here? Why does this way of working succeeds with setMethod
> > but not setClass?
>
> I think that setMethod works because the methods package has already
> created an environment within the appropriate name space (try 'ls(<pkg
> name space>, all=TRUE)' and look at the '.__<etc>' bindings). What
> setMethod does is modfies this environment, rather than the
> environment of the name space.

Thanks very for this clarification.

> Hope that helps, and is not too misleading.

Not all, very helpful. Cheers,

Iago