[Rd] save() and interrupts

Luke Tierney luke at stat.uiowa.edu
Tue Apr 17 14:48:30 CEST 2007

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, Henrik Bengtsson wrote:

> On 4/16/07, Luke Tierney <luke at stat.uiowa.edu> wrote:

>> it
>> internal
>> has
>> even

>> before

>> could

>> > You could change the code to write to a temporary
>> > file (in the directory you want the result in) and
>> > when you successfully finish writing to the file
>> > you rename it to the permanent name.  (On an interrupt
>> > you remove the temp file, and on 'kill -9' the only
>> > bad effect is the space used by the partially written
>> > temp file.)  This has the added advantage that you don't
>> > overwrite an existing save file by the given name until
>> > you know a suitable replacement is ready.
>> >
>> > Perhaps we need a connection type that encapsulates this.

>> > Bill Dunlap
>> > Insightful Corporation
>> > bill at insightful dot com
>> > 360-428-8146
>> >
>> > "All statements in this message represent the opinions of the author and
>> do
>> > not necessarily reflect Insightful Corporation policy or position."
>>
>> We do this with save.image.  Since save is a little more general it is
>> a bit less obvious what the right way to do this sort of thing is, or
>> whether there is a single right way.  I think if I was concerned about
>> this I would write something around the current save for particular
>> kinds of connections rather than changing save itself.  The main
>> reason for taking a different rout with save.image is that that gets
>> called implicitly by q().
>>
>> [our current ability to manage user interrupts is not ideal--hopefully
>> we can make a bit of progress on this soon.]
>
> I was thinking about this last night:  It would be useful to have a
> feature/construct to evaluate an R expression atomically where user
> interrupts will *not have an affect until afterwards*, cf. calls to
> native code.  This would solve the problem of getting interrupts while
> in a tryCatch(..., interrupt=..., finally=...).  Of course this
> requires caution by the programmer, but it is also unlikely to be used
> by someone who do not know what the risks are.  I do not know the
> different signals available, but one could consider such atomic calls
> to be protected against different levels of signals.  In addition, one
> could have an optional threshold of the number of interrupt signals it
> takes to (even) interrupt an atomic evaluation.

This is the sort of thing I have been tinking about. One also needs to
enable interrupts within selected parts of such a construct, and these
things need to cooperate with each other and with internal code. There
is a paper on doing these sorts of things in a principled way in
Haskell that I want to spend some time reading to see what translates
to us.

Best,

luke

--