[Rd] Fortran coding standards

Vivek Rao rvivekrao at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 12 04:16:28 CEST 2007

--- Hin-Tak Leung <hin-tak.leung at cimr.cam.ac.uk>
wrote:

<snip>

> (2) g77, gfortran are not the only fortran compilers
> out there!
> "...it is standard Fortran 90 and is supported by
> g77", is just not
> good enough - what do you mean by "...also conforms
> to later standards"?
> Some piece of code is either fortran 77 conformant,
> or not
> (i.e. *at least one* feature used are not).

Almost all of Fortran 77 is included in the later
standards F90, F95, and F2003, but there are a few
exceptions, for example non-integer loop variables.
The currently supported and developed Fortran
compilers implement Fortran 95. G77 is not being
maintained. Therefore I think that people programming
in Fortran 77  should use the subset (about 99%) of
the language that is present in F95. This can be
verified by compiling the code with g95 or gfortran
with the std=f95 option. F90 and F95 retain the fixed
source form of F77 as an option.

> (3) if it is not broken, don't try to fix it. It is
> possible to debate
> on stylistic changes for eternity and not getting
> any real work done.

I think modifying code so that it is more robust and
readable constitutes real progress, especially for
people who will directly with the code.