[Rd] R-Forge?

hadley wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 21:26:29 CEST 2007

On 4/6/07, Simon Urbanek <simon.urbanek at r-project.org> wrote:

> On Apr 6, 2007, at 12:22 PM, hadley wickham wrote:

> >> We have never thought about it, but this would be technically
> >> difficult.
> >>
> >> But you may migrate your svn (or the part which contains the
> >> package) to
> >> R-Forge and have the advantage of daily build and checked packages
> >> with
> >> the possibility to install it directly from R-Forge:
> >> project.org")|
> >
> > I guess I'm not really comfortable moving my code to an external
> > repository completely out of my control.  It would be really
> > convenient to be able to upload a source package, and have it built,
> > with out R CMD check being enforced.
> >

> I see the whole point of using external repository (like either
> rforge) in having fully-backed SVN repository on server-grade
> hardware. If you already have a SVN repository, why won't you use a
> post-commit script on the same machine to do the build and check?

The svn server is the easy bit - you can get that at any number of
hosts.  Cross-platform R builds are much trickier, and is the unique
thing that the r-forge sites offer.  If I could have some one else
deal with the package building for linux, mac and windows for test
packages I would be a very happy man.

Hadley