[Rd] R-Forge?

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan.sarkar at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 20:56:23 CEST 2007

On 4/6/07, hadley wickham <h.wickham at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Is it possible to use r-forge just for the nightly builds?   (ie. with
> > > svn hosted elsewhere)  That would be really handy.
> > >
> > > Hadley
> > We have never thought about it, but this would be technically difficult.
> >
> > But you may migrate your svn (or the part which contains the package) to
> > R-Forge and have the advantage of daily build and checked packages with
> > the possibility to install it directly from R-Forge:
> > |install.packages("/packagename/",repos="http://r-forge.r-project.org")|
>
> I guess I'm not really comfortable moving my code to an external
> repository completely out of my control.  It would be really
> convenient to be able to upload a source package, and have it built,
> with out R CMD check being enforced.

If you are comfortable with mirroring, I recently discovered the
svnsync tool (new in subversion 1.4). It will mirror a subversion
repository in its entirety (including commit history). It requires a
hook script to be present in the target repository (so needs
cooperation from the admin), but otherwise, once you set it up, a one
line cron job will synchronize it.

A quick description is available here:

http://code.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=56682&topic=10386

and the subversion book has more detail.

-Deepayan