[Rd] S3 methods for cbind/rbind

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Wed Sep 27 22:02:43 CEST 2006

I created a type of object similar to a data frame. In some circumstances, It
needs special methods for "[" and "[<-" and rbind() (but not cbind()). Then I
found this in the cbind()/rbind() man page:

     The method dispatching is _not_ done via 'UseMethod()', but by
     C-internal dispatching. Therefore, there is no need for, e.g.,
     'rbind.default'.

This seems to imply I cannot add my own method. Is there 1) a workaround to
and 2) a rationale for this? (Other than creating a generic Rbind() or
whatever, that is.)

I'm using S3 methods.

Thanks in advance!

--