[Rd] standardization of slot access

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 23:18:50 CEST 2006

I think the point is that if you use @ and then later redesign the
internals of the class so that that component is not longer stored
but is, instead, computed then @ will no longer be possible to
use in that instance and a method call will be required which means
that the internal change implies that the user interface must change.
Of course, that is undesirable.  In some programming languages
like Python one can access a variable and call a function using the
exact same syntax so that it would be possible to make such
an internal change without affecting the user.