[Rd] An update method for lists?

Mark.Bravington at csiro.au Mark.Bravington at csiro.au
Wed Sep 20 02:54:15 CEST 2006

> On 9/19/06, Gabor Grothendieck <ggrothendieck at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Perhaps it should have another name, be made generic and
> extended to
> > functions in which case it would work on the formal arguments.  e.g.
> >
> >    read.table.comma <- modify(read.table, list(sep = ","))
> >
> > would return a function that is the same as read.table but
> has "," as
> > the default for sep.
> >
> > Python has something like this called partial:
> >    http://docs.python.org/dev/whatsnew/pep-309.html
>
> I have had similar thoughts, and even requested a variant a
> while back, with a possible implementation:

There is a function that does this in the 'mvbutils' package, called
'hack':

hack <- function( fun, ...){
  mc <- match.call( expand.dots=FALSE)$...
  for( i in names( mc))
    formals( fun)[[ i]] <- mc[[ i]]
  fun
}

which is a little different to Deepayan's version-- not sure what the
pros & cons of each are. I use 'hack' extensively inside my '.First'
(and in the startup code for 'mvbutils' itself) to change default
parameters in various 'base', 'graphics' and 'utils' functions. Sounds
like this may be fairly common practice.

Mark

Mark Bravington
CSIRO Mathematical & Information Sciences
Marine Laboratory
Castray Esplanade
Hobart 7001
TAS