[Rd] R Citation through time

Gregor Gorjanc gregor.gorjanc at bfro.uni-lj.si
Tue Sep 12 15:22:23 CEST 2006

Friedrich Leisch wrote:

>   > Hello!
>   > I keep my local bib file and up to now I had entry
>
>   >   @Manual{R:2003,
>   >     title = {R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing},
>   >     author = {{R Development Core Team}},
>   >     organization = {R Foundation for Statistical Computing},
>   >     address = {Vienna, Austria},
>   >     year = {2005},
>   >     note = {{ISBN} 3-900051-00-3},
>   >     url = {http://www.R-project.org},
>   >   }
>
>   > With recent versions ISBN changed to 3-900051-07-0.
>
> It changed with 2.0.0, which is not that recent ...
>
>   > Now I wonder if there is any canonical way to refer to R without
>   > the need to change R entry over and over. It would probably be the
>   > best just to add new entry for "new version" for R. Now the
>   > question is what is new version or when does ISBN number change?
>
> The ISBN changes with every major version of R, i.e., it will change
> next when 3.0.0 is released. We are already stretching the ISBN rules
> to the limit (on the no-change-side) with that policy, and the
> reason is exactly to make the reference more stable. But with a major
> release we really need to assign a new ISBN.

Thank you for this clarifications. As indicated ISBN is not changing
very often and I can live with couple of BibTeX entries for R.

Thanks!

--
Lep pozdrav / With regards,
    Gregor Gorjanc

University of Ljubljana     PhD student
Biotechnical Faculty
Zootechnical Department     URI: http://www.bfro.uni-lj.si/MR/ggorjan
Groblje 3                   mail: gregor.gorjanc <at> bfro.uni-lj.si

SI-1230 Domzale             tel: +386 (0)1 72 17 861
Slovenia, Europe            fax: +386 (0)1 72 17 888