[Rd] problems in installing packages with R version 2.4.0 alpha (2006-09-05 r39134)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Sep 11 23:25:58 CEST 2006

At least some of this will go away if you use a current version of 2.4.0
alpha rather than one that is a week old (as the posting guide does ask).
We are now at r39258, and some of those binary packages were built against
a substantially later version of 2.4.0 alpha.

If you look at the list of available packages at

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/checkSummaryWin.htm

you will see which are unavailable as Windows binaries and why.  More can
be installed from the sources but do not pass R CMD check for Uwe (or in
most cases for anyone else: see the other CRAN summaries).

This is the 'alpha' period, and we are waiting for updates on quite a
number of packages (especially ones that use S4 methods).  However, R
2.4.0 is not even in feature freeze yet, and it is quite possible that
packages will need to be reinstalled again prior to release.

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Richard M. Heiberger wrote:

> I just downloaded the windows version
>  R version 2.4.0 alpha (2006-09-05 r39134)
>
> 1. When I downloaded the packages, the following two were not found.
> > utils:::menuInstallPkgs()
> --- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
> dependency ''fCalendar'' is not available
>
> dependency ''SparseM'' is not available
>
> I am not sure which other packages depend on these.
>

> 2. Of the others, several didn't install cleanly
>
> package 'mlbench' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
> Warning: unable to move temporary installation 'C:\Program Files\R\R-
> 2.4.0alpha\library\file41bb5af1\mlbench' to 'C:\Program Files\R\R-2.4.0alpha\library\mlbench'
> package 'tseries' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
> Warning: unable to move temporary installation 'C:\Program Files\R\R-2.4.0alpha\library\file305e124
> \tseries' to 'C:\Program Files\R\R-2.4.0alpha\library\tseries'
> package 'DAAG' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
> Warning: unable to move temporary installation 'C:\Program Files\R\R-
> 2.4.0alpha\library\file491c440d\DAAG' to 'C:\Program Files\R\R-2.4.0alpha\library\DAAG'
> package 'acepack' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
> Warning: unable to move temporary installation 'C:\Program Files\R\R-
> 2.4.0alpha\library\file767d7a5a\acepack' to 'C:\Program Files\R\R-2.4.0alpha\library\acepack'
> package 'rcom' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
> Warning: unable to move temporary installation 'C:\Program Files\R\R-
> 2.4.0alpha\library\file58784b40\rcom' to 'C:\Program Files\R\R-2.4.0alpha\library\rcom'
>

> I reinstalled all five from the local zip files that were downloaded as part of the above
> installation, and four worked and one didn't.
> I needed to reinstall mlbench a third time and this time it worked.
>
> This type of problem frequently happens when I download a new version of R.

This suggests problems with your local file system: it is definitely a
Windows rather than an R problem.