[Rd] S4 Method dispatch in recent 2.4.0alpha

John Chambers jmc at r-project.org
Mon Sep 11 16:05:23 CEST 2006

Good example.

The basic problem is in the NAMESPACE file:

importFrom(graphics, plot)

But the version of plot() in the graphics package is not a generic
function.  Therefore, when your mpplot() calls it there is no method
dispatch.

You need to import the generic version of plot() from minipkg2 (notice
that there's a message about creating a new generic for plot() when you
install minipkg2).

The line in the NAMESPACE file should be:

importFrom(minipkg2, plot)

In your mini-example, there are some additional steps needed, not
directly related to the problem & possibly not true in the real example.

1.  minipkg2 also needs a NAMESPACE, in which it imports from methods
and graphics and exports plot and the class mp2.plot (example attached).

2.  Highly recommended though maybe not required here is to use some
form of saved image, e.g. by including "LazyLoad:yes" in the two
DESCRIPTION files.

John