[Rd] R GUI API: suggestion for R function to put in there?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sun Oct 29 17:49:41 CET 2006

Thanks for posting this list.  I just want to clarify one place where
you quote me:

On 10/29/2006 11:54 AM, Philippe Grosjean wrote:

  ... deletions

> - To execute R code contained in a string and return the result of this
> evaluation in a string (including presentation of error messages and
> warnings) exactly as if this was entered at the prompt. Duncan Murdoch
> is against such a kind of function (he says a GUI should not substitute
> to the R interpreter, and it should manage and present errors or
> warnings in a better way than the teletype approach of the command
> line).

I actually said that a GUI should "be able to" do these things.  My only
objection to the proposed function is that it's not sufficient.  R
should supply facilities that make it easy to write that function, by
supplying the mechanisms for the GUI to get at everything necessary.

Duncan Murdoch