[Rd] lapack tests fail -- is this something to worry about?

Armstrong, Whit whit.armstrong at hcmny.com
Fri Oct 20 00:50:56 CEST 2006

I see the comment here about some 64bit combinations failing.

Well, my configuration fails.  Is this really something to worry about?

for R-patched:
fi1->cat SVN-REVISION
Revision: 39576
Last Changed Date: 2006-10-03
fi1->

> ## failed for some 64bit-Lapack-gcc combinations:
> sm <- cbind(1, 3:1, 1:3)
> eigenok(sm, eigen(sm))
Error: abs(A %*% V - V %*% diag(lam)) < Eps is not all TRUE
> eigenok(sm, eigen(sm, sym=FALSE))
Error: abs(A %*% V - V %*% diag(lam)) < Eps is not all TRUE

I'm not using a nonstandard blas or lapack, just the ones included in R.

Here is my system information:

fi1->gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 3.2.3 20030502 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-47)
This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is
NO
PURPOSE.

fi1->uname -a
Linux fi1.nyc.office.hcmny.com 2.4.21-32.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Apr 15
21:03:28 EDT 2005 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
fi1->

This is RHEL v3.  I know gcc 3.2.3 is old, but I don't have root, and
our admins are not crazy about changing 1 system to accommodate 1 user,
so I'm happy to ignore the test failure if it's not something to worry
about.  I'm not using lapack routines in my code, but I don't know to
what extent R makes use of lapack internally.

Can anyone give me the skinny on whether this test failure really
matters?

Thanks,
Whit

This e-mail message is intended only for the named recipient(s) above. It may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail and any attachment(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by replying to this e-mail and delete the message and any attachment(s) from your system. Thank you.