[Rd] Error condition in evaluating a promise

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Oct 19 00:11:45 CEST 2006

On 10/18/2006 1:17 PM, Roger D. Peng wrote:
> I've encountered a (I think) related problem when using promises to load
> relatively large datasets.  For example something like
>
> delayedAssign("x", getBigDataset())
>
> runs into the same problem if you hit Ctrl-C while 'x' is being evaluated for
> the first time.  Afterwards, there's no way to retrieve the dataset associated
> with 'x'.

This is only true if the assignment was made in the global environment.
  If that was executed within a function, or the assignment was made in
any environment except .GlobalEnv, then you can use

substitute(x, env=whatever)

to recover the getBigDataset() function call.  It could then be
re-evaluated.

Why is the global environment special?  For backwards compatibility, I'm
told.

Duncan Murdoch