[Rd] x86_64, acml-3.5.0-gfortran64 and lme4

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Oct 16 19:18:24 CEST 2006

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006, Douglas Bates wrote:

> I am encountering segfaults when checking the lme4 package on an
> Athlon64 system if I use the acml blas.  R was built as a 64-bit
> application using the GCC 4.0.3 compiler suite including gfortran.
> The version of acml is 3.5.0 gfortran64.

gcc 4.1.1 is current, and I would suggest an update would be a good idea:
my tests with gcc4 went a lot better with 4.1.0 than 4.0.3.

I have an FC5 dual x86_64 system (hence gcc 4.1.1) with ACML 3.5.0 and
Goto 1.06 (I cannot get ATLAS to build on that system).  I too get a
segfault with ACML (I used the _mp version, but also tried with it
confined to a single thread), but not with Goto nor R's internal BLAS.