[Rd] warnings with plot=FALSE in hist.default

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan.sarkar at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 03:22:56 CEST 2006

Hi,

the NEWS for R 2.4.0 has:

    o   hist(*, plot = FALSE) now warns about unused arguments.

I'm sure this does some good for someone somewhere, but it causes
lattice::histogram() calls to produce warnings now in certain cases,
which I need to fix. However, ?hist makes no mention of this new state
of affairs, and the definition of ``unused'' seems arbitrary since
'freq' and 'probability', which have no effect (unless they contradict
each other) do not trigger the warning. Could the help page be
clarified to reflect the intent so that I don't get caught by more
changes later?

Thanks,

Deepayan

P.S. The help page also has

     ...: further graphical parameters passed to 'plot.histogram' and
          their to 'title' and 'axis' (if 'plot=TRUE').

which is grammatically incorrect (I'm not sure what was intended).