[Rd] Possible bug in accessing methods documentation?

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Wed Oct 11 20:48:42 CEST 2006

Hi,

Reading help("Documentation"), I'm led to believe that a help call
like:

    ?myFun(x, sqrt(wt))

Will search for help on the appropriate method in the case that myFun
is generic.  This isn't working for me.  Here is an example using the
Biobase package:

## If Biobase is not installed
source("http://bioconductor.org/biocLite.R")
biocLite("Biobase")

> library("Biobase")
> data(sample.ExpressionSet)
> class(sample.ExpressionSet)
[1] "ExpressionSet"
attr(,"package")
[1] "Biobase"
> z <- featureNames(sample.ExpressionSet)
> z[1:2]
[1] "AFFX-MurIL2_at"  "AFFX-MurIL10_at"
> ?featureNames(sample.ExpressionSet)
Warning message:
no method defined for function 'featureNames' and signature 'object = "missing"' in: .helpForCall(e1Expr, parent.frame())
Error in .helpForCall(e1Expr, parent.frame()) :
        no documentation for function 'featureNames' and signature 'object = "missing"'

Am I expecting the wrong thing or is this broken?

+ seth