[Rd] Possible bug in accessing methods documentation?

Seth Falcon sfalcon at fhcrc.org
Wed Oct 11 20:48:42 CEST 2006

Reading help("Documentation"), I'm led to believe that a help call

    ?myFun(x, sqrt(wt))

Will search for help on the appropriate method in the case that myFun
is generic.  This isn't working for me.  Here is an example using the
Biobase package:

## If Biobase is not installed

> library("Biobase")
> data(sample.ExpressionSet)
> class(sample.ExpressionSet)
[1] "ExpressionSet"
[1] "Biobase"
> z <- featureNames(sample.ExpressionSet)
> z[1:2]
[1] "AFFX-MurIL2_at"  "AFFX-MurIL10_at"
> ?featureNames(sample.ExpressionSet)
Warning message:
no method defined for function 'featureNames' and signature 'object = "missing"' in: .helpForCall(e1Expr, parent.frame())
Error in .helpForCall(e1Expr, parent.frame()) :
        no documentation for function 'featureNames' and signature 'object = "missing"'

Am I expecting the wrong thing or is this broken?

+ seth