[Rd] Bug in 2.4.0 Windows menu setup (PR#9277)

murdoch at stats.uwo.ca murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Oct 5 04:51:58 CEST 2006

I've tracked down where this is occurring, but I don't know how to fix
it.  Here's a summary:

If the language in Windows is set to simplified Chinese (i.e. Chinese
(PRC)) and message translations are installed, then on startup Rgui
crashes when it tries to install the console popup menu.  The crash
comes when it gets an error trying to do a conversion using mbrtowc, and
tries to report it using error(); but the R symbol table is needed for
that, and it hasn't been set up yet.

I'm not sure which menu entry causes the crash, but I think it's not the
first, so conceivably this is caused by an error in one of the
translation files.  Indeed, setting the language to Chinese (Taiwan) works.

I don't know how to debug the translation files, so I'm going to have to
leave this one for now.  I think Brian Ripley is the only one who
understands all the details of what goes on in the translations, and
he's away until Oct 9.

Duncan Murdoch