[Rd] Default argument value for "["

John Chambers jmc at r-project.org
Wed Oct 4 15:52:21 CEST 2006

I think the problem in your case comes from the mechanism used to handle
non-standard argument lists; notice that you have added 3 new
arguments.  If you look at the body of the resulting method you will see
that the mechanism used to handle this (defining a function .local)
fails to copy the default value from the method, as in the simpler
example below:

 > setMethod("[", c("mm"), function(x, i, j, k..., drop=FALSE)browser())
[1] "["
 > selectMethod("[", "mm")
Method Definition:

function (x, i, j, ..., drop = TRUE)
{
    .local <- function (x, i, j, k..., drop = FALSE)
    browser()
    .local(x, i, j, ..., drop = drop)
}

We can probably fix this.  Meanwhile, the workaround is to use the same
mechanism yourself, but get the  default value right.  Define your
method as a function (like the .local you see when printing the current
method) and then define a method with the formally correct arguments
(function(x, i, j, ..., drop=FALSE)) and call your function from that
method.

Beware there is _another_ related "bug":  if you use callNextMethod(),
it does not seem to copy the default value of drop= either.  (It's a bit
more debatable what callNextMethod() with no arguments should do in this
case, so the problem here may be an "undesired feature" rather than a
bug.)  You didn't show your real method, so this may not apply in your
example.

By the way, I would be a little surprised if this had anything to do
with changes in 2.4.0, at least those I'm aware of.