[Rd] developing a package with a name space

Erik Iverson iverson at biostat.wisc.edu
Tue Oct 3 20:22:36 CEST 2006

Hello -

I'm currently maintaining an R package that uses a name space, and am
also starting a new R package that will use a name space.

According the the R News June 2003 issue, "Adding a name space to a
package may complicate debugging code ... it is a good idea not to add a
name space to a package until it is completely debugged, and to remove
the name space if further debugging is needed ... other alternatives are
being explored ... ".

Is renaming/removing the NAMESPACE file still the favored approach when
developing and debugging code for an R package?

I suppose the alternative I have in mind is something like sourcing an R
file, and using assignInNamespace(), may be more trouble than it is worth.

I am doing this development using ESS by the way.

Thanks for any guidance!
Erik Iverson