[Rd] ccf documentation bug or suggeston (PR#9394)

murdoch at stats.uwo.ca murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Tue Nov 28 18:50:35 CET 2006

On 11/28/2006 11:50 AM, A.I. McLeod wrote:
> Hi Duncan,

Hi Ian.

> ccf(x,y) does not explain whether c(k)=cov(x(t),x(t+k)) or d(k)=cov(x(t),x(t-k)) is calculated.  The following example demonstrates
> that the c(k) definition is used:
> ccf(c(-1,1,rep(0,8)),c(1,rep(0,9)))
> However S-Plus acf uses the d(k) definition in their acf function.

I don't think our code looks right, let alone our documentation.  In
both R-devel and R-patched I get a lag zero value of 1 from ccf(), and I
think I should get cor(x,y), which in your example, would be -0.74:  and
that is what I get from 2.4.0.

I hope this isn't a result of my patch to allow length 1 series...

Duncan Murdoch

P.S.  No need to send to more than one of R-devel, R-bugs, or me.  I'll
see the message on any of them.  It's probably best to default to
R-devel for suggestions like this, but the lag 0 value really is a bug,
I think.