[Rd] Writing R Extensions manual?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri Nov 24 01:02:41 CET 2006

      I got an error message apparently from copying a line in the
"Writing R Extensions" manual.  Specifically, the sample "DESCRIPTION"
file includes the following:

Depends: R (>= 1.8.0), nlme

      When I ran "R CMD check", I got the following message in
"00install.out":

installing R.css in
D:/spencerg/statmtds/RTimeSeries/Durbin/StateSpaceDK.Rcheck

unsupported operator in dependence "R (>=2.4.0), zoo"

---------- Making package StateSpaceDK ------------
  adding build stamp to DESCRIPTION
Error: Invalid DESCRIPTION file

Malformed Depends or Suggests or Imports or Enhances field.
Offending entries:
  R (>=2.4.0)
Entries must be names of packages optionally followed by '<=' or '>=',
white space, and a valid version number in parentheses.

See the information on DESCRIPTION files in section 'Creating R
packages' of the 'Writing R Extensions' manual.
Execution halted
make[2]: *** [frontmatter] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2

###########################

      After I removed "R (>=2.4.0)", "R CMD check" moved on to something
else I haven't yet parsed.  However, either I've misinterpreted
something here or the manual is inconsistent with what "R CMD check"
currently does.

      Thanks for all your hard work in creating this very useful tool.
      Spencer Graves
###########################
sessionInfo()
R version 2.4.0 (2006-10-03)
i386-pc-mingw32

locale:
LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_United
States.1252;LC_MONETARY=English_United
States.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:
[1] "methods"   "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"     "datasets"
[7] "base"