[Rd] bug in acf (PR#9360) S-Plus Addendum

A.I. McLeod aim at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Nov 13 20:55:26 CET 2006

Here is the result from S-Plus V.8.
> acf(1,lag.max=1,type="covariance",plot=F)
Call: acf(x = 1, lag.max = 1, type = "covariance", plot = F)

Autocovariances matrix:
  lag X2
1   0  0
2   1  0

Their function does not support the demean option, so the variance is zero but they set 0/0 to 0 instead of 1.  The empty sum is
zero (that is a standard mathematical convention which S+ follows).  I still think *one* would be better for the correlation at lag
*zero* since the autocorrelation function at lag *zero* is defined as this in every other case.  As I tried to explain before for
some algorithms involving the computation of correlations and convolutions, it is more convenient to have this first term (lag zero)
always set to *one*.  Otherwise it has be treated as a special case as in my GetB function which I showed you.

I guess it is not that important but I think it should be treated as more than a documentation bug!!  Knuth once said that after TeX
reach Version 3.14 all bugs would just be declared "special features".  That would be another way to handle too.

For "canned data analysis" as opposed to "programming", it really doesn't matter at all how you handle this problem.

Ian McLeod