[Rd] invert argument in grep

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Nov 10 19:24:05 CET 2006

On 11/10/2006 12:52 PM, Romain Francois wrote:
> Duncan Murdoch wrote:
>> On 11/9/2006 5:14 AM, Romain Francois wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> What about an `invert` argument in grep, to return elements that are
>>> *not* matching a regular expression :

>>> would essentially return the same as :

>>> I'm attaching the files that I modified (against today's tarball) for
>>> that purpose.
>>
>> I think a more generally useful change would be to be able to return a
>> logical vector with TRUE for a match and FALSE for a non-match, so a
>> simple !grep(...) does the inversion.  (This is motivated by the
>> recent R-help discussion of the fact that x[-selection] doesn't always
>> invert the selection when it's a vector of indices.)
>>
>> A way to do that without expanding the argument list would be to allow
>>
>> value="logical"
>>
>> as well as value=TRUE and value=FALSE.
>>
>> This would make boolean operations easy, e.g.
>>
>> colors()[grep("dark", colors(), value="logical")
>>       & !grep("blue", colors(), value="logical")]
>>
>> to select the colors that contain "dark" but not "blue". (In this case
>> the RE to select that subset is rather simple because "dark" always
>> precedes "blue", but if that wasn't true, it would be a lot messier.)
>>
>> Duncan Murdoch
> Hi,
>
> It sounds like a nice thing to have. I would still prefer to type :
>
> R> grep ( "dark", grep("blue", colors(), value = TRUE, invert=TRUE),
> value = TRUE )

That's good for intersecting two searches, but not for other boolean
combinations.

My main point was that inversion isn't the only boolean operation you
may want, but R has perfectly good powerful boolean operators, so
installing a limited subset of boolean algebra into grep() is probably
the wrong approach.

> What about a way to pass more than one regular expression then be able
> to call :
>
> R> grep( c("dark", "blue"), colors(), value = TRUE, invert = c(TRUE, FALSE)

Again, it covers & and !, but it misses other boolean operators.

> I usually use that kind of shortcuts that are easy to remember.
>
> vgrep <- function(...) grep(..., value = TRUE)
> igrep <- function(...) grep(..., invert = TRUE)
> ivgrep <- vigrep <- function(...) grep(..., invert = TRUE, value = TRUE)

If you're willing to write these, then it's easy to write igrep without
an invert arg to grep:

igrep <- function(pat, x, ...)
    setdiff(1:length(x), grep(pat, x, value = FALSE, ...))

ivgrep would also be easy, except for the weird semantics of value=TRUE
pointed out by Brian:  but it could still be written with a little bit
of care.

Duncan Murdoch