[Rd] Chi-squared test (PR#9350)

Thu Nov 9 06:44:42 CET 2006

Upon further reflection on my part I have realized that my original
email was way too harsh - even for the sometimes harsh tone on R-devel.

Having spent a few more minutes reflecting on the original question
and reading the old thread Robert linked to, it seems that there is
indeed some questions about the non-existence of a df argument.

I guess it can be interesting in the case where you are comparing to
an estimated probability vector and you want to take that estimation
into account (which does not seem straightforward, see Peter
Dalgaard's old email). In that case a user might be interested in
explicitly passing along a df argument.

On the other hand, there are several circumstances where I would say
a df is unnecessary. One case is when the p value is computed by
simulation and another is the case where the argument is a matrix and
the function tests for independence (at least it would be highly non-
standard to have any other degrees of freedom that the usual one).

Since the function returns the statistic it is very easy to directly
compute the df by
   statistic = chisq.test( ... )$statistic
   p.value = 1 - pchisq(statistic, df = df)
(or p.value = pchisq(statistic, df = df, lower.tail = FALSE) ).

Altogether I would personally be slightly inclined to say it is
better not to provide a df argument - I would think that the
possibility of misuse is to high.

Kasper