[Rd] Subsetting a vector in C

Sean Davis sdavis2 at mail.nih.gov
Wed Nov 1 13:48:07 CET 2006

I have a pretty simple question.  I have an array of REALSXP allocated as:

rsp = allocVector(REALSXP,n)

and I simply want to pass subsets of rsp of size q (q<<n), for example, to an
R function in C.  Is there a way to subset rsp without creating a new REALSXP
vector and copying the values for subsetting into it and then passing it to
the function?  I'm looking for the R equivalent of rsp[1:q], but in C under
the R API.

A pointer to source code in the R distribution would be quite helpful, as I
haven't found one on my own (at least not one that I recognized as such).

Thanks,
Sean