[Rd] delayedAssign and interrupts

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sun May 21 23:00:26 CEST 2006

On 5/19/2006 10:55 AM, Duncan Murdoch wrote:
> On 5/19/2006 10:37 AM, Luke Tierney wrote:

>>> I don't know of one.  Normally substitute(x) is supposed to retrieve the
>>>  promise expression, but by a strange quirk of history, it does not
>>> work when x is in .GlobalEnv.
>>>
>>> I'd say the behaviour you're seeing is a bug.  If I do

>>> [1] 2
>>>
>>> nothing is changed about x.  I would think the same thing should happen
>>> when x is a promise:  if the evaluation of the promised expression
>>> fails, the promise should not be changed.
>> I don't think this is a clear as you make it out--given that these
>> uses of promises often have side effects, and some of those side
>> effects may have occurred prior to an error, it isn't clear that
>> pretending like no evaluation had happened is the right way to go.
>
> Right, but the user would have seen the error, and can decide how to
> recover from it.  If trying to evaluate x again is the wrong thing to
> do, the user is the one who would know that.
>
>> It should not be too hard to write a delayedAssignmentReset function
>> if that is really useful; alternatively a user of delayedAssign should
>> be able to arrange via tryCatch to chatch interrupts and re-install
>> the delayed assignment if one occurs.
>>
>> It might not be a bad idea for us to look into the promise evaluation
>> internals and see if we should/can separate the promise black-holing
>> from detection of recursive default argument references to get more
>> reasonable error messages in these situations and maybe allow
>> resetting more gnerally.  But anything done here had better keep
>> efficiency in mind since this is prety core to R function call
>> evaluation.  I may try to look into this when I get back to workign on
>> R internals.
>
> This is a very rare situation, so I agree putting in some slow way to
> recover from an error is a bad idea.  I think we should do the following:
>
>   - fix substitute so it could be used to extract the promise expression
> even if x lives in .GlobalEnv.  (This can't happen for 2.3.1.)
>
>   - add delayedAssignmentReset to repair x if that's preferred.  (Is
> this a reasonable addition to a patch release?)
>
> This won't leave promises alone in case of an error, but will make it
> fairly easy for a user to recover using tryCatch.

I took a look at doing DelayedAssignmentReset, but haven't done it. It
requires some tricky stuff (you can't evaluate the argument in the
regular way, etc.)  It also needs some thought:  should you be able to
reset a promise that isn't messed up in this way, so it evaluates its
expression again?

So I don't plan to do anything for now.  If someone else wants to take
it on, please do.

Duncan Murdoch