[Rd] print.trellis(..., draw.in=...)

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Sun May 21 19:33:41 CEST 2006

Thanks.  I should have realized that.  Now that I read it again with
your explanation it is clear.

At the same time it would be convenient if one could specify a viewport
or vpPath, as well.  If that were the case we could also eliminate the
names.* methods in this example. (These were included to encapsulate
access to them so that the main code does not muck around in the
internals.)

At any rate, for the record, here is the code again corrected:

library(grid)
library(lattice)

pushLayout <- function(nr, nc, name="layout") {
 pushViewport(viewport(layout=grid.layout(nr, nc), name=name))
 for (i in 1:nr) {
   for (j in 1:nc) {
     pushViewport(viewport(layout.pos.row=i, layout.pos.col=j))
     upViewport()
   }
 }
 upViewport()
}

names.vpPath <- names.viewport <- function(x) x$name

getChildren.viewport <- function(x) x$children

grid.newpage()

# specify number of cells to fill and number of rows
n <- 5; nr <- 3

nc <- ceiling(n/nr)
downViewport(pushLayout(nr, nc))

vpt <- current.vpTree(all = FALSE)
children <- getChildren.viewport(vpt)
for(k in 1:n)
     print( xyplot(v ~ v, list(v = 1:k)), newpage = FALSE,
               draw.in = names(children[[k]]) )