[Rd] Suggesting changes to HELP files?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sun May 21 19:12:13 CEST 2006

On 5/21/2006 11:45 AM, Spencer Graves wrote:
> 	  Is there a procedure for suggesting changes to HELP files of the core
> R distribution?  If yes, what is it?  If it would be considered a
> friendly gesture, I could find the relevant *.Rd file and submit a
> suggested modification to it someplace.  Alternatively, I could just
> send suggestions someplace if they would receive appropriate
> consideration.

I don't think there's a formal procedure.  Generally the idea is to find
an R Core member (i.e. someone who can commit changes) who thinks your
changes are a good idea, and then they'll commit them.  How you do that
convincing depends on who you're talking to.  For your examples below:

> 	  On many occasions, I think of modifications, e.g., additional
> examples, that could be added to 'help' pages that I believe would make
> it easier for people to understand how to use some R feature.  Instead,
> I often provide the same answer multiple times to different posts.
>
> 	  I can think of two changes off the top of my head that I'd like to
> see:  First, many if not all of the helps page in the nlme and lme4
> packages should, I believe, include a reference Pinheiro and Bates.
> This is not the place for modesty on the part of Pinheiro, Bates, and
> co-workers.  I believe that many requests for help might be eliminated
> if such references were added.  Failing that, it would be easier for
> people like me to suggest someone read that book, because I wouldn't
> feel such a need to spell out the entire citation every time.

nlme and lme4 are both contributed packages, so you want to talk to the
maintainers about changes to them.  nlme is distributed with binary
builds, but isn't strictly speaking part of the "core R distribution".
Only packages labelled as "Priority: base" in the DESCRIPTION file are
part of the core distribution.

> 	  Second, I think the description of 'vignette' could be enhanced to
> include some version of my 'p.s.' to
> 'http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02a/archive/73494.html' and other
> similar posts.  In particular, I see that the 'edit' method is described
> there, but I didn't understand what it said until I already knew how to
> use it.

For something like this, it's probably best to draft some text, and post
it to R-devel.  You could also look at the Subversion history of the
appropriate file (src/library/utils/man/vignette.Rd) to see who has been
active with changes to it recently; they might be more interested in
making changes to it than others.  In this case, the log is

Revision: 33828