[Rd] Memory allocator on OS/X

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Sat May 20 01:33:50 CEST 2006

Jason,

On May 19, 2006, at 6:37 PM, Jason Foster wrote:

> A quick scan though the mailing list archives didn't reveal any
> reference to this article

Somehow you managed to miss it, we had a discussion about this quite
recently:
http://www.mail-archive.com/r-sig-mac%40stat.math.ethz.ch/msg00770.html

Also based on private e-mail exchange with all involved parties the
preliminary answer is no. The mentioned speed-up occurred only after
patching the involved code, R was actually not even modified. It is
still unclear whether a modification of R is safe and whether any
speed up is to be expected. I hope to have a quiet minute during the
weekend so I can test the various hypotheses... (There are two
separate issues to be addressed: system malloc/free and BLAS
performance).

Cheers,
Simon