[Rd] R CMD SHLIB

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed May 17 08:40:02 CEST 2006

    TL> On Tue, 16 May 2006, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
    >> It is possible to do things like
    >>
    >> env PKG_LIB="-L/opt/foo/lib -lbar" R CMD SHLIB *.c
    >>
    >> to add libraries to the creation of a shared object, but
    >> I have from time to time wondered if we should allow
    >>
    >> R CMD SHLIB *.c -L/opt/foo/lib -lbar
    >>
    >> not least as users seems to expect it to work.  It looks
    >> simple to do (at least under Unix) if we pass -L* -l* *.a
    >> directly to the link command.
    >>
    >> Would this be worthwhile?

    TL> Yes.

    TL> My only reservation is that users may then expect all
    TL> compiler/linker flags to work, not just -L/-l

I had exactly the same thought.

Maybe Brian's proposal can be extended into

  "all switches that are not recognized by 'R CMD SHLIB' are
   passed to compiler / linker  ...."

hmm, or maybe not, since the question quickly become *which* are
passed to compiler and which to linker (and which to both ?) ...

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich