[Rd] bug in rbind.data.frame with factors (PR#8868)

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue May 16 23:38:46 CEST 2006

On Tue, 16 May 2006, Peter Ehlers wrote:

> How is this a bug? From the help page for cbind/rbind:
>
> Description
> Take a sequence of vector, matrix or data frames arguments and
> combine by _columns_ or _rows_, respectively.
> (emphasis added)
>
> Note that it does _not_ say "combine by variable names".

That was my first reaction, but in fact it does attempt to match up the
colunn names.  So this is a bug in an undocumented extension, the bug
being that when it looks into extending the levels of a factor, it checks
if the column number was a factor in the first data frame and not in the
(possibly permuted) columns of the data frame under consideration.

It is unclear from the S documentation what it is supposed to do, but it
seems that it generates the same problematic output.

> Peter Ehlers
>
> rafalku at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Full_Name: Rafal Kustra
>> Version: 2.1.1

Please don't report on obselete versions of R: we do ask so quite
explicitly.

>> OS: Linux, MacOS 10.3
>> Submission from: (NULL) (69.195.47.62)
>>

>> When Rbinding two data frames with factors, strange result occur (but no error)
>> when the order of data frame variables is different in two data frames:
>>

>>> d1=as.data.frame(list(x=1:10,y=letters[1:10]))
>>> d2=as.data.frame(list(y=LETTERS[1:5],x=7:11))