[Rd] (PR#8861) Memory allocation fails in R 2.2.1 and R 2.3.0 on SGI Irix, while plenty of memory available

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue May 16 11:39:33 CEST 2006

On Tue, 16 May 2006, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:

> On a solaris 9 box here, gcc 3.4.2 defaults to build 32-bit binaries for some
> unknown reason,

Actually, for a well-documented reason.  (You need both a suitable CPU and
the appropriate parts of the OS installed for 64-bit binaries to be
usable, and you need to be working on large structures for them to be
desirable.)

BTW, g77 3.4.2 is broken, so please don't use it to build R.

> but can be pursuaded to build 64-bit executables by passing the -m64
> switch explicitly. (this is first hand experience, discovered while
> looking into a similiar anomaly with another piece of software). I think
> gcc on early version of Mac OS X (10.2?) has

Really?  It is documented explicitly on the gcc man page and in the
R-admin manual.

However, on Solaris there is more to this than using -m64, and that too is
documented in the R-admin manual: you need to ensure that you get 64-bit
libraries.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk