[Rd] (PR#8861) Memory allocation fails in R 2.2.1 and R 2.3.0 on SGI Irix, while plenty of memory available

Mirjam van Vroonhoven m.vroonhoven at erasmusmc.nl
Mon May 15 17:54:04 CEST 2006

Prof Brian Ripley wrote on Mon, May 15, 2006 at 04:09:38PM +0100:
> >You can tell if you have a 64bit build of R by looking at
> >.Machine$sizeof.pointer in R, which should be 8.
>
> And if this is a 32-bit build, it is working as expected given the limited
> address space.

It is a 32 bit build. My R 2.0.0 is a 64bit build.

> >If not, then you need to set whatever C and Fortran compilation flags give
> >a 64bit system. It doesn't look to me as if R's configure script has any
> >special handling for C compiler flags on SGI.
>
> Well, the R-admin manual says (under IRIX)
>
>   @R{} 2.1.0 has been successfully built on IRIX64 6.5 using both
>   @command{gcc} and the native (MipsPro 7.4) compiler. However, neither
>   version has passed @command{make check} due to a problem with time
>   zones (see below).  A 64-bit executable has not been successfully
>   built.
>
> so we could not use special handling for a system we have not been told
> how to build in 64-bit mode.
>
> Here we don't know the OS, the compiler, the flags used .... and that
> definitely is a bug.

The OS is irix 6.5.27, compiler = gcc, no special flags.

But that is no different from what I recall to have done when building
R 2.0.0 a long time ago.

I'll try to find out how to build a 64 bit executable, and see wether it
works. Probably that is easier using the native mipspro compiler.
Will report back to you guys when I find out a way to build a working
64bit R 2.3.0 on SGI/irix64

Thanks for the time,

                                                Mirjam

--
Dr. Mirjam van Vroonhoven
	system administrator/programmer, dept. of Bioinformatics
E-mail: m.vroonhoven at erasmusmc.nl