[Rd] Mere chat on vectorisation matters

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Sat May 13 23:31:07 CEST 2006

Hi to all.  Not so long ago, I wrote:

>Allow me to chat a tiny bit on two vectorisation-related matters, in
>the context of R.  I'm curious about if the following ideas have ever
>been considered, and rejected already. [... then, a few words about
>Duff's device, and operation chaining ...]

As this letter did not generate any reply, I presumed the ideas have not
be rejected, on the premise that if they have been, someone would have
been kind enough to tell me :-).  So, today, I went forward and added
Duff's device within arithmetic.c.

There might have been operational or experimental error, of course, as
I'm far from mastering R installation matters.  But if there were no
such error, I'm now reporting, for the record, that Duff's device does
_not_ yield an interesting speedup.

--
François Pinard   http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca