[Rd] [R] plot cdf

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue May 2 08:42:17 CEST 2006

    FrPi> [Martin Maechler]
    >> The default is 'ask = dev.interactive(orNone = TRUE)'
    >> where dev.interactive() has also been extended with the
    >> 'orNone' argument.

    FrPi> Thanks, Martin! :-) (As I'm not aware of the meaning
    FrPi> of this `orNone' argument, I cannot fully appreciate
    FrPi> yet the extent of your solution.)

    FrPi> `?dev.interactive' says:

    FrPi>    Test if an interactive graphics device is in use.

    FrPi> I'm not sure what is the meaning of "in use" in that
    FrPi> sentence.  An interactive device may be opened, while
    FrPi> not being current, so some may say that this device is
    FrPi> in use, others may say that it is not.  I'm not
    FrPi> English speaking, but yet, I would dare to suggest
    FrPi> either:

    FrPi>     Test if the current graphics device is interactive.

Thank you, François, for the suggestion.  Yes, it's the above,
and I agree it's clearer than the current text.

The new possibility
    dev.interactive(orNull = TRUE)
also returns TRUE when there is no current device
*and* the default device is an interactive one.

    FrPi> or:

    FrPi>     Test if some opened interactive graphics device is
    FrPi> interactive.

    FrPi> rephrased in correct English if needed.

    FrPi> `ask' would ideally be TRUE if the _current_ device is
    FrPi> interactive.  If there is a used (opened) device which
    FrPi> is interactive, but the current device is not
    FrPi> interactive, it would then be nicer if `ask' was
    FrPi> FALSE.

indeed; and that's the case.
Martin

    FrPi> -- François Pinard http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca