[Rd] format.info() versus format.default(): Comments please

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon May 1 18:49:22 CEST 2006

format.info() is used in no CRAN package (except in lists of known
functions) and nowhere in R itself so I think you could do whatever you
wanted by way of extending it.  However, I don't think it going to be
easy, as apart from scientific those arguments are handled via
postprocessing by prettyNum.

I would be tempted to replace format.info by a function that analysed the
results.  The current description is wrong, of course:

> format.info(123456)
[1] 6 0 0
> format(123456, big.mark=",")
[1] "123,456"

There are also assumptions that digits and the decimal mark are of width
one, but those are I think benign.