[Rd] compress defaults for save() and save.image()

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 30 19:23:11 CEST 2006

I have changed the default in save() to compress = !ascii.  This seems
quite safe, as almost always save() is called explicitly and people will
appreciate that it might take a little time to save large objects (and
depending on your system, compression could even be faster).

Should we also change the default in save.image()?  That is almost always
used implicitly, via q(), a menu ....  There are arguments that it is a
more serious change so should not be done at the end of the release cycle,
and also that large .RData files are something people would want to avoid.

BTW, the defaults can be changed via options() (see ?save): has anyone
ever found that useful?

And whilst I am feeling curious, has anyone used save(ascii = TRUE) in
recent years?

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk