[Rd] header containing 8713 (PR#8713)

ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 30 10:40:10 CEST 2006

I believe this was intended to be a followup to PR#8713 but has opened a
new report, so I am replying to re-file it in the correct place.

You can read the source code to find out what happens (as anyone else
looking into this would need to).

I currently have

   Argument \code{inches} controls the sizes of the symbols.  If
   \code{TRUE} (the default), the the symbols are scaled so that the
   largest dimension of any symbol is one inch.  If a positive number is
   given the symbols are scaled to make largest symbol this height in
   inches (so \code{TRUE} and \code{1} are equivalent). If \code{inches}
   is \code{FALSE}, the units are taken to be those of the appropriate
   axes.  (For circles, squares and stars the units of the x axis are
   used.)

Note that it is not just width and height: the units for the whiskers are
also relevant.  Indeed, the scaling for boxplots is chosen so that the
largest width, height or whisker length is one inch.