[Rd] [R] atan2(1,1i)

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Thu Mar 30 05:21:46 CEST 2006

[Brian Ripley]

>BTW, this *really* is an R-devel topic, so please try to use the
>appropriate list.

OK, I'm moving this matter to R-devel.

>[Robin Hankin]

>> My point was that the documentation is inconsistent with the
>> function.

>I think it is _your reading_ of the documentation that is inconsistent.
>An equally plausible reading is that both x and y must be numeric or
>complex.

If a documentation may be read with many plausible but different
meanings, then it is ambiguous and needs to be improved.  There is no
point in asserting, as you did above, that the problem lies in the
reading of the original poster.

The R documentation is quite good and very useful, there is a tremendous
job in there, which I acknowlege.  Much thanks to all.  This being said,
however, the documentation is not perfect, and you should stop reacting
to R criticism as if it was personal offense, because it is not.

--
François Pinard   http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca