[Rd] Matrix inner product crashes on x86_64 (PR#8715)

jtlindgr at cs.Helsinki.FI jtlindgr at cs.Helsinki.FI
Mon Mar 27 21:40:43 CEST 2006

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> Not reproducible for me (and do you really think that something as simple as
> this would not have been found on x86_64 long before now?)
> This is almost certainly caused by your use of an inappropriate external BLAS.
> Something has probably been compiled for a different processor than the one
> you are using, since illegal instructions are a compiler (not R) issue that I
> have seen quite often on ix86 systems when this happened.
> Use --without-blas when recompiling R and see if it then works.

Thank you for the prompt reply. Disabling the external BLAS fixed
the problem as you suspected.

(As a minor curiosity, the problem was not caught by any tests
ran by make check or make check-all -- but I do not presume here
to speculate or guess whether the tests try out any such matrix
calculations or not.). :)

Thanks again,
J.