[Rd] Help please: please test timestamping of command history

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Sat Mar 25 06:22:28 CET 2006

[ Moved from R-help]

Duncan Mackay wrote:
> Hi all,
> On the subject of histories, how about changing the default value of
> "max.show" from 25 to Inf? I find that the line of code I'm looking for is
> ALWAYS on the 26th line back from the end of the default history!! Also, re
> changing the amount of history saved, Prof Ripley replied to an earlier
> query of mine on this list (04 Mar 2005) with info about the R_HISTSIZE
> environment variable that can be changed to save more or less history. And
> it wouldn't it be great if the history mechanism had the option of storing
> the session date??!!

I've written a timestamp() function to do the timestamping, but I'd like
some people on platforms other than Windows to take a look -- I can't
test it there.  I'd especially like to hear if trying it on platforms
that don't support history() causes problems.

This needs new internals, so you need to be able to build R to test.

If anyone has the time, could you try applying the attached patch to a
reasonably current R-devel source tree, and send me comments or make
improvements?  Thanks.

Duncan Murdoch