[Rd] R and sun gridengine

Michael Dondrup michael.dondrup at cebitec.uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Mar 24 14:11:02 CET 2006

Kim Carter wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am looking for assistance with setting up R under Sun grid engine 6
> (6.0-update7). I would like to set up transparent interactive access
> to R using either a qlogin or qrsh solution. While it basically works
> using either method, I reach the same sticking point.  There seems
> to be an issue with signalling or something, as R works ok until a
> non-R command is typed in - eg "blah" - at which point the remote
> session is terminated (note: i am using ssh as an rsh/rlogin replacement).
>
> If anyone has any suggestions or can point me in the  right direction,
> it would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Kim Carter
>

> --

Are you trying something like
'qrsh R' ? Then the reason might be a missing tty and R goes to
batch-mode, like:

bagheera:~>qrsh tty
not a tty

but:

bagheera:~>qrsh
Last login: Fri Mar 24 14:02:47 from bagheera.CeBiTe
morpheus:~> tty
/dev/pts/3

If you supply a command to qrsh, you will not have a terminal.

I think there is no switch to force R into interactive mode,like for
example for 'bash -i'. I found:
http://www.r-project.org/nocvs/mail/r-help/2002/8927.html
but have not checked if it still works.

Maybe this helps